JOSHUA LONGORIA “PASSION FOR LIFE” MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
Eligible applicants may receive an additional one-time award up to $500. To be considered for this additional award, applicants must not have previously received the Joshua Longoria “Passion for Life” Memorial Scholarship.
ABOUT JOSHUA LONGORIA | 1994–2018
The Joshua Longoria “Passion for Life” Memorial Scholarship is open to students striving to seek the truest desire to serve others with conviction and compassion. In establishing this scholarship, Joshua’s mother and SAHA employee, Laura Longoria, and her family wish to recognize students that are dedicated to continuing their education and achieve a career goal that Joshua was unable to complete due to his shortened life. When Joshua was diagnosed with melanoma cancer, it quickly spread to his bones. Daily tasks such as getting out of bed became too difficult, and he was unable to work. Despite his condition, his cancer never hardened his heart. Joshua was touched by incredible people in all career fields he met in his life. It gave him a passion for life with a focus on being the best son, brother, nephew, grandson, friend, boyfriend, cousin, patient and positive acquaintance to all who met him. Joshua lived in a way that made his entire family see the incredible young adult he was and the remarkable man he would have been.
ADDITIONAL ELIGIBILITY – NO SEPARATE APPLICATION
- Must meet all eligibility requirements and submit all supporting documentation required for the SAHA Resident Scholarship. See “Eligibility” and “2021 Application Checklist” for more information on all requirements and supporting documentation to be considered for a SAHA Resident Scholarship.
- Address the following questions within the personal narrative submitted as part of your SAHA Resident Scholarship Application:
“Life encompasses many forms of difficulty. When obstacles are insurmountable, how will your chosen field instill a passion for life in those you will serve? Describe how overcoming difficulty will positively impact others who witness your work.”
- A separate essay and/or application is not required for the Joshua Longoria “Passion for Life” Scholarship
AWARD PROCESS & TIMELINE
- The Joshua Longoria “Passion for Life” Scholarship is an additional award that is open only to those selected for a SAHA Resident Scholarship. To be considered for this award, you must apply for the SAHA Resident Scholarship and meet all additional eligibility criteria outlined above.
- No additional application or supporting documents are required to be considered for this additional award.
- The competition is very high for this additional award, and only five applicants will be selected.
- Joshua Longoria “Passion for Life” Scholarship winners will be selected immediately following the selection of SAHA Resident Scholarships. This means that the SAHA Scholarship Committee will review and select candidates through a similar process as the SAHA Resident Scholarship, and both awards will follow the same timeline.
- See “2021 Scholarship Timeline” for more information on this year’s application deadlines, review and selection dates, and planned events for winners.